Much like the grubby caterpillar transforms into a beautiful butterfly, so does the gear one brings and ends up with while attempting a major hike.
Why, just in the past 15 days my list has changed immensely!
A few weeks ago…
I was pitifully unprepared. You had every right to be concerned. Little Therese really didn’t have any idea what she was doing. Nothing made sense, I had no confidence, but accomplishing the hike still felt right. I wasn’t going to stop this journey because I lacked the know-how before I got the idea! That would be preposterous!
How could I possibly learn anything if I only accomplished feats that were comfortable?
Today, I am a NEW WOMAN!
With the hike 2 days away (THAT’S 48 HOURS HOLY POO), I have finally reached a comfortable point of knowledge and preparedness. I present you with my new, beautiful, shiny, ever transforming…
- Sleeping Bag zero degree, from my bro Jay, thanks Jay, you’re the best Jay.
- Sleeping Pad Thermarest, ultimate science technology to keep you as warm (but not as comfortable) as you could possibly be sleeping on the ground.
- REI’s Passenger 1 Tent because I realized I am afraid of snakes and also would like to stay dry if a shelter is full when it is raining buckets.
- Jetboil Stove because I am a novice.
- Camelback and H2O bottle for the hydration station
- Sawyer Mini Water Filter and sanitation tabs so I don’t ingest something that will murder me, or something less harmful but still gross like river silt.
- Mug and spork for moments of consumption
- 6-7 days worth of food, mostly Ramen or granola bars, to be consumed with said mug and fork. The circle of life.
- Repel MAX Go ahead, Bugs, try to land on me! You will DIE.
- Clothing 2 short sleeve shirts, 1 long sleeve shirt, 1 leggings, 1 pants, 1 pullover, 3pr socks, 2pr underwear, and some camp shoes
- Merrell Moab Waterproof whatevers the best hiking shoes EVER! Maybe!
- Cellphone and tiny solar charger, for photos, and contacting you goons once I’m out there.
- First aid kit, still being constructed. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. But let’s be honest we all know I’m invincible!
- Trash bags GALORE! Waterproof and handy. Line your bag, pick up your trash! So many possibilities!
- Rain shell for my human body and my bag
- Knife to cut all the bears I’ll be fighting.
- Headlamp and Flashlight to be able to see the bears as I fight them.
- AT Guidebook because David AWOL Miller is a boss.
- Notebook for nightly reflection.
- Book that I bought at AWP to read.
- Gossamer Mariposa 60L pack to house all of these wonderful things.
I’m sure I’m forgetting little things…such is the way of the brain. But these are the major items in the pack, and I can now come to you with confidence that I am going to
OWN THIS HIKE
and probably get knicked and run down along the way. Truth is? I’ve never been more ready for anything in my life, so any crap that comes with it is just part of the hardcore, epic, lovely journey that I signed up for.
No one is making me do this. I can stop any time I want.
But that’s the most beautiful part about it all, I think.